The role of manager of specific stocks granted to OCSIT has the following purposes:
- reduce GDP losses and import costs in case of supply needs due to crisis, thus balancing supply losses and reducing potential prices alterations;
- verify and ensure availability and physical accessibility to emergency stocks, in order to allow Italy to control use of stocks in case of oil supply crisis;
- adopt transparent and non-discriminatory mechanisms for stocks supplies, as it acts as a non-profit third party.
The creation of OCSIT also generates a number of advantages, due to:
- obtainment by OCSIT of possible favorable financing terms, in line with country risk rating;
- reduction of working capital in favor of the market players, due to reduction of their burdens and obligations.